Friday 12 March 2010

Well the Challenge is here. At long last I have finally told the world about my new expeditions. I know for some you have been waiting a while to find out so I hope I haven't disappointed.

First things first then, time for an introduction: my name is Sean Newall. I consider Glasgow my home city. I work, study and play there. This is my first major expedition!

The Challenge is an idea that I have been thinking about for a few years now but it was only after my last expedition in India that the concept really took shape. Having worked with Culture and Sport Glasgow for a number of years caused me to have an interest in the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.

This got me thinking about the commonwealth. If I was honest I really did not have any idea what it was, who it was etc. I thought it was all about the empire and monarchy. Really who were all these nations that Glasgow will be hosting in 2014?

I was surprised to find out that it was over 70 nations from six continents. Basically a quarter of the countries in the world make up this unique family. Not only that with the Commonwealth having a population of nearly 2 billion then there is a one in three chance that you are from a Commonwealth nation.

Here is the basis of the Challenge: 72 Commonwealth nations, 4 Epic Expeditions, 1 Challenge to visit them all by a physically challenging method of transport!

The first expedition begins on August 1st 2010 between now and then I hope to tell you more about me, the expeditions, Unicef and the commonwealth.

The Challenge isn't only for me I hope to get as many people as I can involved through games and play so there is much more to come yet!

Oh and Please If YOU are from a Commonwealth nation get in touch!

LET'S PLAY

No comments:

Post a Comment